For more than a year, I’ve been able to observe and collaborate with Cliff Thorbes through our roles on the Board of the Canadian Horticultural Therapy Association. With utmost confidence, I can recommend Cliff as an intuitive, compassionate, intentional educator and Registered Horticultural Therapist. As the CHTA Education Committee Coordinator, I’ve had the honour of reviewing and supporting his course creation for Foundations for Practitioners of Horticultural Therapy, and can advocate for his detailed course outlines and pursuit of creating an engaging, impactful learning environment for his future students. I, and the Education Committee of the Canadian Horticultural Therapy Association, gladly endorse Cliff’s course as a CHTA-approved learning opportunity.
B. van der Stoel, CHTA Education Committee Coordinator
Education and Training in Horticultural Therapy
FOUNDATIONS FOR PRACTITIONERS OF HORTICULTURAL THERAPY is a continuing education course designed to provide participants with the foundations for providing Horticultural Therapy. For participants with prior education and training in Horticultural Therapy, this course is an opportunity to refresh knowledge previously learned.
In this course, participants will:
- become familiar with terminology and practices used in providing Horticultural Therapy
- examine templates to plan programs, sessions, and activities
- choose an activity, facilitate it, complete documentation for it, and present a summary of it to the rest of the group
- use a model for resolving ethical dilemmas to debrief case studies
- develop a plan for ongoing professionalism
This course uses a blended model for instruction with twenty hours of instructor-led instruction provided over five virtual classroom sessions on Zoom, and an additional twenty hours of comprehensive course work that includes completing four course assignments, and a variety of assessments.
Cohorts are a minimum of five and maximum of eight participants.
The autumn 2022 cohort is scheduled to run over the following dates and times:
- Session 1: Saturday October 15, 2022, 10 am – 2 pm PST
- Session 2: Sunday October 16, 2022, 10 am – 2 pm PST
- Session 3: Saturday October 29, 2022, 10 am – 2 pm PST
- Session 4: Sunday October 30, 2022, 10 am – 2 pm PST
- Session 5: Sunday November 6, 2022, 10 am – 2 pm PST
The course fee is $500 + GST.
To reserve a seat in the autumn 2022 cohort, participants are required to pay their fees in full when registering. The course fee does not include the cost of the recommended course textbook. Participants must purchase it on their own.
This course is eligible for gaining education points towards CHTA voluntary professional registration.
Participants who attend all virtual classroom sessions, participate, and complete all course assignments, qualify for a Certificate of Completion upon conclusion of the course.
***This course does not teach skills in horticulture nor does it qualify a participant to call themselves a Horticultural Therapist upon successful completion of it.
Email Cliff at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your seat in the next cohort scheduled for autumn 2022.
©Cliff Thorbes 2022